Wednesday, February 3, 2010

let the fun begin!

Some of you know that I am part of Tall Mom on the Run's 1000+++++ mile club. We are all endeavoring to run 1000 miles in 2010. that breaks down to around 2.75 miles per day, which, when you look at it that way, shouldn't be all that tough. Let's just say that I am behind schedule. Moving along now...
She had mentioned in a post a while back that she wanted to read more about running in Oregon, and since I had recently finished "Bowerman and the men of Oregon", I thought that this would be a good chance for me to pay it forward, so i contacted Melanie and sent the book out west. I hope that the book is able to make its way around the country (world?), spreading it's good cheer and wonderful insight into the world of running that took the country by storm in the 60's and 70's, a part of that era that is too often overlooked.
Yesterday I woke up not feeling well, but decided to go to work because I knew that we were at a skeleton crew until 1130 when our 4th would come in. What I didn't know was that we were at capacity and expecting another patient, which would make us full. On an ordinary day, this would have been just fine, but since I was under the weather, it just made me feel worse. Here is what the law will allow me to show you of my 'office':
Cozy, eh? Anyway, I was also scheduled to have some routine labs drawn yesterday, and the results included my WBC count, which is a measure of the number of white blood cells in the sample of blood. if the number is higher than the 'reference range', it is an indication of infection or illness. I got a phone call from the Nurse Practitioner who manages Employee Health, and she said, "are you feeling ok today"?
"actually no, why"? I replied.
"well, your WBC's are 19,000, and if you were feeling well, i would be concerned. but since you say you aren't well, it just makes sense."
"ah, yes. 19. thanks for the update."
and i set about making plans to go home early. Mary came in at 1130, and i was on the road home by 1215.
and i slept. as it turns out, B has bilateral pink eye, and a left side ear infection. yay, us! he fell asleep on my lap around 430, and then was kind enough to wake only me up at 1 this morning. we crashed on the couch, and slept off and on until 630. i put him to bed, and he slept for another hour or so. i took his spot in bed, and  did some marathon training. yes, that's right. marathon training while sick. I am awesome!
ok, ok, so the marathon training was in the form of a Jason Bourne Marathon. I watched them and dozed off and on during the day, making for a nice back to back to back to sleep day. B started some antibiotics, and after 2 doses is a totally different kid.  Thank you, Tracey, for managing so well that i could sleep. you are Awesome!
I doubt that I'll get back to running tomorrow, but I am shooting for a Friday return to the dreadmill. I am off that day, and will be watching the kiddos for a while so that T can go to Z's honor roll breakfast. Yep, he did it AGAIN. So did Mike. Congrats, boys!
Now if I can just stop walking around the house like I am stalking someone, Tracey will be much happier!

1 comment:

  1. Funny you should mention being behind in miles....thats exactly why I'm stopping by. I'm officially in charge of motivating those behind in miles. But since I can't yell at a sick person I'll have to settle for "hope you feel better soon".