Tuesday, March 1, 2011

G-F Salsa

As an interlude, here's a quick recipe that covers 2 of the things that I love:
My Mom (she sent it to me) and Cilantro. Cilantro always seems to lend a certain 'freshness' as an ingredient, much the way thinly sliced fresh mint does...As for my Mom? Well, I seem to recall her once saying, "Don't get fresh with me, Mister!"
Once....

So here you have it, a simply copy and paste from a recent email:

"I thought your Blog Buddy lady that was looking for gluten-free recipes might like this. ... I am going to make it this week so I can let you know how it is... "

Roasted Yellow Tomato Salsa With Cilantro

By The Gluten Free Goddess
WebMD Recipe from Foodily.com

Picture of  Roasted Yellow Tomato SalsaIf you cannot find these tiny heirloom yellow tomatoes, any grape or cherry tomatoes will do. The roasting coaxes fresh tomato salsa from bright and acidic into complex, subtle and sweet. If you don't care for cilantro, try using basil instead, and serve this salsa as a bruschetta topping on toasted gluten-free bread rubbed with a clove of fresh garlic.

Ingredients

2 pints of yellow cherry or heirloom tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cup corn kernels
2 teaspoons dried or fresh cilantro
Sea salt
Olive oil
White balsamic vinegar

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a roasting pan combine:
2 pints of yellow cherry or heirloom tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cup corn kernels
2 teaspoons dried cilantro
Sea salt
Drizzle with
Olive oil
White balsamic vinegar
Toss to coat. Roast in a preheated oven until the tomatoes are soft and sweet, about 25 to 30 minutes. I stirred the mix halfway through roasting. Cool before storing. Store covered in the fridge. Just before serving allow the salsa to come to room temperature. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Serve with Brown Rice Tortilla Chips, corn chips, or triangles of toasted gluten-free garlic bread.
Total Servings: 6


3 comments:

  1. Oh damn! That looks good. Healthy and good - can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum. I replace lettuce with cilantro. Love it. Fresh and light are perfect descriptions for it.

    This looks awesome. I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks and sounds delicious! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete