Monday, June 6, 2011

Care to join us?

This evening is my first class of my first class of 5k Beginners Programme, developed by Julia and Shauna over at http://www.upandrunningonline.org/. A pair of super ladies, both of who, interestingly, are not natives of the countries which they now call home. And then there's me, over here in the USA, running one of their courses. A true international collaboration!!!

Here is the letter that i sent out last night to the 6 participants. Wouldn't you want to come out and play, too?

Greetings!
My name is Gene, and I will be working with you to get you ready to run a 5k event by the end of the summer! I am very excited to get this rolling, so I wanted to touch base with the participants before tomorrow's class.
Here are some things about me that you might want to know:
My cell number is NPA-NXX-XXXX. If you need to get in touch with me before class or have questions, please feel free to give me a call. While I am at work the phone is mostly off, but please leave a message and I will call you back. Alternately you can reach me at this email address just by replying to this message.
I am an RN at the VA Medical Center, and have been a nurse for almost 10 years. Prior to that I worked in the telecommunications department at Mass General Hospital. Before that, a cook, before that.....well, the stories go on and on. I have been a runner for most of my life, but have only in the past few years really been bitten by the bug. I enjoy it so much that I want to get as many people involved as I can. I am sure that sounds pretty corny, but I really do!
I can't wait for tomorrow so that we can start this journey together. I'd like to meet over by the football bleachers, near the pool, at Hartford High School. We can talk about alternate places to meet tomorrow. If it is raining, let's meet there anyway and see what develops.
I have attached a brochure that introduces the program and and lays out the training for the first week. If you can't download it, please let me know and I will see what I can do to get you one. I will have some tomorrow either way.
Please make sure that you have a water bottle, perhaps a towel, and running shoes. If you don't have running shoes, we can still train, but your feet will be much happier if they are wearing comfortable, supportive shoes meant for the activity.
Alright! Again, feel free to hit me up with any questions by phone, email, or even Twitter  (@boutdrz) !!
See you tomorrow!
Be Well,
Gene

1 comment: