Thursday, December 24, 2009

how do you spell goals? S.M.A.R.T.

In keeping with the whole New Year's Resolution theme, i have been rethinking my goals for 2010. Since there are so many things that I would like to do, I have also tried breaking them out into categories so that they might be more manageable.
Riiiiiight.
Here are the categories, in NO particluar order:
Husband, Father/Step, Brother, Son, Nurse, Runner, Pet Owner.
I am certain to have left out a few roles/categories, but these are the ones that readily come to mind. Over the course of the next week or so, I will be working to break down the goals into these categories, then eliminate the ones that don't meet my "goal criteria". Huh? Didn't know that I had criteria. Oh, silly, silly reader! I have criteria for just about EVERYTHING. Ask my wife. She'll tell you. No logo's on shirts. ONLY plain, fat free yogurt. Go Lean Crunch. No Ketchup (ever). No Jell-o. But I digress....
So here are the criteria. Pretty simple, actually. I try hard to follow the acronym S.M.A.R.T. when setting goals. Perhaps you have heard of it? No? I am happy to share:
S=Specific. Instead of "run faster", setting a goal of "half marathon in under 1:50" is specific.
M=Measureable. As in 4 fewer incidences of dog using tile by back door for toilet by taking him out earlier in the mornings.
A=Attainable. While a goal of becoming Critical Care Certified by the end of the year is Specific, it isn't very attainable.
R=Realistic. Goes hand in hand with Attainable. Goal of "finishing first marathon in under 3 hours is Specific, it isn't all that realistic.
T=Timely. As in not too far off into the future. My first goal mentioned is Specific, but if I don't include a time with it, and leave it open ended (half marathon in under 1:50 at some time in my life), it doesn't fit. Something like "climb Camel's Hump with my family by the time the kids go back to school in August" meets all criteria. (hint, hint).
Armed with this, try to set some smart goals for you this year. Share them with me, and I'll try to help you remain 'accountable' to them (and yourself).

No comments:

Post a Comment