Sunday, April 3, 2011

Light It Up Blue 2011

It has only been in the past few months, say since October or so, that I have really taken any notice to Autism. As a 42 year old, and a health care worker, of course I had heard of it. Of course I know people whose kids have it, or they, themselves, are Autistic.

But I never, honestly, gave much thought to how it might impact me.

Then I started to pay more attention to things, and causes, and decided to join in on the Operation Jack virtual run and fund raiser right after Christmas. It was fun, but I didn’t raise much money or awareness. But I became drawn to something that I hadn’t been in the past, which gave me an opportunity to learn more about something that I hadn’t known much about. So I chalked it up as a win.

As many of you already know, April is Autism Awareness Month, and the 1st and 2nd are Light It Up Blue days. For more deets on that, go to www.lightitupblue.org. I mentioned to Tracey that I wanted to get blue bulbs for our two exterior lights, and she readily agreed. But I failed to make it to the store in time for Friday, so we went out yesterday and got 2 bulbs.

Then we went to her parents’ house to celebrate Bryce’s 5th with the family. I should have known better, but I didn’t assume that we would stay until nearly 9pm. On our way home we could see that a local hotel had lit up their entry blue:

IMAG0276

When we got home, I promptly put in the bulbs. Here’s our front door, which we never use:

IMAG0277The other entry has a motion sensing spot light, so the blue didn’t show up in the picture. I left the lights on all night (power company can thank me later). Earlier in the day, Bryce and I took some time to make some blue pancakes. My cousin in North Carolina made some, too, so it was ALMOST like we had breakfast together, which would have been pretty cool had it actually happened. She sent me some pictures, but I can’t figure out how to get them from my phone’s text messages to the web….. rats.

Here are our pictures, though. For those of you who support any foundations or movements that are important to you, I humbly give thanks. For those of you on the fence about such things, I can appreciate that, too. Have a great Sunday!

IMAG0270

IMAG0271

IMAG0273

IMAG0274

No comments:

Post a Comment